The Blue Star Memorial program was developed by the National Garden Clubs, Inc. in 1945 to pay tribute to the Armed Forces that defended our country during World War II. Based on the original Blue Star flag displayed in family homes, the star became a standard symbol on dedicated Blue Star Highways throughout the United States. The placement of Blue Star markers was approved by state legislatures in cooperation with State Departments of Transportation.
Today the Blue Star Memorial program has expanded to include many locations including highways, parks, veterans’ facilities, national cemeteries, and historic/civic sites.
The markers pay tribute to all the Armed Forces which defend our country, and they are a visible reminder of our love of gardening and our support for the Armed Forces of the USA.